23 May SEO or SEM? Help!
Search Engine Marketing has become the popular method to promote businesses and their websites. This is done in an effort to increase their public exposure as well as the amount of people that visit their website. This is all made possible by either Search Engine Optimization (SEO) or Search Engine Marketing (SEM) methods. Below we will explore the pros and cons of each method to help determine which option best suits your company.
First, let’s determine the difference between SEO and SEM. Simply, SEO is free (organic search) whereas SEM is not. In this case, marketers would pay only when their advertisement has been clicked on by the viewer.
Search Engine Optimization
Search engines are constantly changing and evolving. This illustrates how important it is to keep things up to date in order to ensure good traffic flow on the site. This includes keeping information regarding your website accurate and consistent throughout all social platforms. Site ranking is a crucial component of being successful with search engines, which should be prioritized by all websites. Submitting your website to online directories and being mindful of relevant keyword placement is beneficial. However, content and activity on the website and social profile pages is extremely beneficial for search engine ranking. Below are various pros/cons of SEO.
• Constant flow of exposure and targeted traffic to the site
• Creates a good impression of the business and will grow the public following of the business
• Strong backlinks (governmental and academic entities are most common)
• Can take some time for businesses to see substantial results
• Can be time consuming to create effective SEO practices
• The ultimate goal is to be on the first page of searches, but unfortunately there is no guarantee of that
• No control on the amount of traffic that will be acquired
Search Engine Marketing
Most companies cannot solely rely on this method due to the cost. However, this method can be beneficial to those who are running a short-term campaign that need to produce quick buzz and businesses that are offering direct products to consumers. SEM campaigns utilize the bidding of relevant keywords to display a text ad within a search engine results page (SERP) to a user that has “searched” for the keyword or phrase.
• Can reach a target audience fast and provides measurable results from the campaign
• Able to make adjustments to campaigns quickly and efficiently
• Good exposure to local and global markets and consumers
• Can be expensive if administrators become ‘bid happy’ and feel they must compete with all competitors within the auction
• Specific restrictions can cause for pricy keywords
• Must be carefully managed and controlled in order for your campaign to be the most effective
Media Venue is fully equipped to help you navigate both SEO and Search Engine Marketing methods of digital marketing. Give us a call today at 502-855-4783 and we will help design your Search Engine Marketing strategy.
Media Venue– Strategic Marketing Excellence.